- How does the ceremony of removing the veil from the bride?
- Symbolism of tradition
- Words accompanying the ceremony
- What to do after?
At traditional weddings, at the end of the celebration, a ritual is held that has a deep sacred meaning - the ceremony of removing the veil from the bride. At this touching moment, under the views of the guests, a transformation takes place - the girl receives a new status, becomes a woman, ready for family obligations and the birth of offspring.
How does the ceremony of removing the veil from the bride?
At modern weddings, the ceremony of removing the veil is carried out in the evening, during a feast. There are several variations on how it will go, and who will take care of removing this accessory.
- In the first version, the decoration removes the mother-in-law. This rite means not only the loss of innocence and farewell to girlhood, but also the beginning of a married life, the transition from one family to another. Therefore, the mother-in-law, removing the veil, thereby takes the girl to her house, where she will become the mistress and assistant.
- The game version of removing the veil takes place when the mother removes it from the bride. Then together they play a small performance - the girl must abandon her persuasion to remove the decoration three times. The bride agrees to the fourth, then a ceremony takes place. This option is partially due to the fact that the veil symbolizes the purity of the girl, and her removal becomes a metaphor for the act of defloration. Also, a comic refusal may have a different meaning: removing the veil and covering the head with a scarf means transferring the daughter to the groom, symbolizing not only their future joyful moments, but also the hardships of everyday life.
- The third variation of the veil removal ceremony suggests that the accessory removes the groom and covers her head with a scarf, thereby taking her to her family. This kind of ceremony is rarely held..
To make the ceremony more solemn, you can distribute candles to those present, put a chair in the center of the hall, put the groom on it, and the bride on top. After this, guests should circle the young around, light the wicks and silently watch how the mother-in-law or mother remove the veil. When removing each hairpin with which the veil is attached, the groom kisses the narrowed one. If the bridegroom removes the veil, the bride is seated on a chair alone. When they put on a scarf, the bride takes turns dancing with all the guests who are not yet married. During the dance, she fastens a veil on their head, as a wish to become a wife and mother as soon as possible. After all the unmarried girls have danced, the groom’s turn comes - the hero of the occasion covers his veil with his veil so that he never again looks at other women.
Symbolism of tradition
The tradition came to us from antiquity, but before it was not veils that were removed, but wreaths, the girls wove a long braid - this was a symbol of the end of their girlhood and the beginning of adulthood. Later, a classic white veil appeared, and now there are many options for a headdress - the main thing is that it fits the dress. The ritual, first of all, means that the girl becomes a woman, says goodbye to her carefree childhood. This is the moment of her transfer to another family, the acquisition of a new status - wife, mistress of her house, guardian of the hearth.
Words accompanying the ceremony
The ceremony of removing the white veil from the bride is a beautiful and partly sad act, because the girl forever says goodbye to girlhood. It should be accompanied by wishes of happiness, love, joy. Since the ritual is part of a traditional wedding, folk music will do. If guests, relatives know folk songs, they themselves can perform them - then the ceremony will become even more solemn.
What to do after?
After the ceremony of removing the veil from the bride, dances are held in which this part of the outfit is used. The veil should bring unmarried girls at the wedding a quick family happiness, and protect the husband from the desire of other women. This ritual is the last part of the ceremony. When it is finished, the newlyweds, as a rule, retire on their wedding night, and guests can stay to celebrate. Dance ritual with her husband, see the photo below.
Watch the video that will help to present the solemnity of this beautiful touching ceremony:
The ceremony of removing the veil can be a wonderful part of the evening of a traditional wedding. Take care of its organized conduct: if you need the help of guests, warn them in advance, prepare a beautiful scarf, tell unmarried girlfriends about the intention to dance with them. This approach allows you to spend this part of the holiday perfectly.
Do you like this rite? Leave a comment if you want to use it at your wedding.