- How does the ceremony of removing the veil from the bride?
- Symbolism of tradition
- Words accompanying the rite
- What to do after?
At traditional weddings, at the end of the celebration, a ritual is held that has a deep sacred meaning: it is a rite of passage to remove the veil from the bride. At this touching moment, under the eyes of the guests, a transformation takes place - the girl receives a new status, becomes a woman, ready for family obligations and the birth of offspring.
How does the ceremony of removing the veil from the bride?
The time for the ceremony of removing the veil from the bride comes in the evening, closer to the end of the feast. There are several variations on how it will take place and who will play the main role.
- In the first scenario, the decoration removes the mother-in-law. This ritual means not only the loss of innocence and farewell to girlhood, but also the beginning of a married life, the transition from one family to another. Therefore, the mother-in-law, removing the veil, thereby takes the girl to her house, where she will become the mistress and assistant.
- The game version of the script of this ritual takes place when the bride’s mother removes the veil. Then together they play a small performance - the girl must abandon her persuasion to remove the decoration three times. The bride agrees to the fourth, then a ritual takes place.
- The third scenario of the ceremony of removing the veil from the bride suggests that the accessory removes the groom and covers her head with a scarf, thereby taking her to her family. This kind of ceremony is rarely held..
To make the action more solemn, you can give out candles to those present, put a chair in the middle of the hall, seat the groom, and the bride on his knees. After that, guests should circle the young around, light the wicks and silently watch how the mother-in-law or mother remove the veil. When removing each hairpin that secures the veil, the groom kisses the narrowed one. If the groom takes the veil off, the bride is seated on a chair alone.
When the head of the bride is decorated with a scarf, she takes turns dancing with all the guests who are not yet married. During the dance, she fastens a veil on their head as a wish to become a wife and mother as soon as possible. After all the unmarried girls have danced, the groom’s turn comes - the hero of the occasion covers his veil with his veil so that he never again looks at other women.
Symbolism of tradition
The tradition came to us from antiquity, but before it was not veils that were removed, but wreaths, the girls wove a long braid - this was a symbol of the end of their girlhood and the beginning of adulthood. A classic white veil appeared later, and now there are many options for a headdress - the main thing is that it fits the dress.
The ritual, first of all, means that the girl becomes a woman, says goodbye to her carefree life. This is the moment of her transfer to another family, acquisition of a new status - wife, mistress of her house, guardian of the hearth.
Words accompanying the rite
The ceremony of removing the snow-white veil from the bride is a beautiful, but partly sad action, because the girl forever says goodbye to girlhood. It should be accompanied by wishes of happiness, love, joy. Since the ritual is part of a traditional wedding, folk music will do. If guests or relatives know folk songs, they themselves can perform them - then the ceremony will become even more solemn.
What to do after?
After the ceremony of removing the veil from the bride, dances are held in which this part of the outfit is used. The veil should bring unmarried girls quick family happiness, and protect the husband from the desire of other women. This ritual is the last part of the ceremony. When it is finished, the newlyweds, as a rule, retire on their wedding night, and guests can stay to celebrate. Dance ritual with husband and wife, see the photo below.
Video will help you to present the solemnity of this beautiful touching action.
The beauty of the bride’s veil removal ceremony can make it a wonderful part of a traditional wedding evening. Take care of its organized carrying out: if you need the help of guests, warn them in advance, prepare a beautiful scarf, tell unmarried girlfriends about the intention to dance in their company. This approach allows you to spend this part of the holiday perfectly.
Did you like this rite? Share your impressions in the comments and tell us if you are going to use it at your wedding.