- Features of traditions at Caucasian weddings
- Matchmaking in the Caucasus
- The custom of celebrating 2 weddings
- Caucasian bride - an image of chastity and modesty
- Lezginka music and dancing at Caucasian weddings
- Caucasian toasts for a wedding
- Festive motorcade of the newlyweds
- Caucasian wedding 2016 video
A large number of different nationalities live in the mountain Caucasus: Ossetians, Chechens, Azerbaijanis, Dagestanis, Armenians, Abkhazians, etc. All this national diversity has formed a unique culture consisting of various traditions, customs and rites. The day of marriage plays a huge role in the life of a Caucasian person. Caucasian weddings are large-scale events that are celebrated for at least three days: they have fun dances, loud music, a generous feast, ancient customs.
Features of traditions at Caucasian weddings
There are some distinguishing features of the traditions of Caucasian weddings that distinguish them from other nationalities.
- Wedding hiding. In ancient times, not looking at the fact that the bride and groom were the culprits of the Caucasian celebration, they were not allowed to attend the wedding together. Young people, as a rule, during stormy fun hid from each other, celebrating a celebration among their relatives and friends, and saw each other only before the wedding night. This custom is associated with a clear separation of male and female society..
- Entry into the house of the narrowed. A truly striking event of the Caucasian weddings was the entry of the bride into the territory of the groom's house. The girl completely hid her face in order to avoid the evil eye and that evil spirits could not disturb the new family. They covered the threshold with sheep’s skin, the girl must have crossed it with her right foot, breaking her small saucer - it was believed that this would bring happiness and help to avoid further quarrels in life together.
- Embrace. Before retiring with her betrothed, the bride had to hug several family members. The first to be embraced by a little boy (or a girl took a baby in her arms) - this symbolic rite ensured the birth of the first-born male. Then followed the turn of the grandmother - the eldest woman of the family.
- So that the life of a Caucasian girl in the new house would be sweet and comfortable, the mother of the groom puts a spoonful of honey in her mouth, and then she is showered with all kinds of sweets, coins, rice. Rice symbolizes abundance, fertility, wealth.
- The wedding night. After all the ceremonies of the meeting of the matrimonial are passed, she is escorted to the room where the meeting of the culprits of the Caucasian celebration will take place. From this moment, the couple is considered officially married. Also passes «lifting of bans», which will allow the young to see relatives and friends again: during the celebration, they had to hide from them.
- The conclusion of the bride to the river. A rural tradition, which is designed to prevent a Caucasian girl from drawing water into the water while she draws it for the household. How it goes: a girl is brought to the river, then a man throws a piece of bread into the water, music plays, the participants sing songs. After they shoot the bread.
- Gifts. Giving gifts from one Caucasian family to another is a mandatory tradition, prescribing certain types of gifts. For example, on the part of the bride, it was imperative to give all the men of the groom’s Caucasian family warm socks - a gift said that the girl was a good housewife.
In big cities, many traditions of the Caucasian celebrations have changed, new interesting details have appeared. For example, if earlier girls and men celebrated the wedding separately, now everything has become different: the young female half is not only present during the Caucasian celebration, but also has a chance to find a lover. Girls are seriously preparing for the wedding of their girlfriend - they embroider handkerchiefs, dresses, and men prepare ingenious phrases to win the heart of a lady they like.
After the young people exchanged pleasantries, as a sign of his sympathy, the young man gives the girl who has looked at the treats a treat, but not himself, but through an intermediary. If sympathy is mutual, through the same intermediary she transfers a handkerchief embroidered with her own hand. Gift exchange meant the beginning of their acquaintance and its possible continuation.
Matchmaking in the Caucasus
Before the matchmaking, the bride passed a choice. Previously, the bridegroom's parents chose the young girl, this could happen long before the wedding day was appointed, because often the future spouses were married, while they were still children - from the age of 12 years. An important role was played by the well-being of parents, their position in society, and the health of their daughter. Now young Caucasian men can choose their own bride, although they still symbolically ask for parental permission, and only then send matchmakers.
Matchmaking consists of several stages:
- Appointment of the date of Caucasian matchmaking. A sent person from the family of the future spouse meets with the family of the bride to tell the date of arrival of the matchmakers, therefore they are always aware of their appearance and carefully prepare for it.
- The first matchmaking. On the appointed day, guests come from the Caucasian groom - as a rule, this is one close male relative (father, brother or uncle), a respected person from the village, and also an intermediary who knows both families well. Guests sit down at the table, the bride's father and several close relatives warmly welcome them. After conversations on abstract topics, the matchmakers proceed to the main goal of their visit - requests for the hand and heart of the desired girl.
At the first arrival of the matchmakers, it is customary to disagree. The head of the family says: «We need to think, talk with the next of kin, ask our daughter for an opinion. Soon we will give an answer».
- Second matchmaking. The next matchmaking is conducted on a larger scale, preparations for it are also more serious - the table is richer, the number of participants in the process is greater. The matchmakers are warmly welcomed, invited to the table, at first they talk again on abstract topics. When the time comes to talk about the matter, the mediator asks what the elders of the family have decided. This time, the Caucasian head of the bride’s family responds with a blessing.
The ritual of matchmaking may differ depending on the cultural characteristics of a particular nationality of people living in the Caucasus. Traditionally, the date of the upcoming wedding was set by the parents, then it fell on the shoulders of the future spouse and is still preserved, although now the opinion of the Caucasian bride is always taken into account and respected. Previously, the matchmaking took place in the spring, and the wedding was played in the fall after harvest, but this custom is a thing of the past, giving way to warm summer weddings..
Also, after the matchmaking, questions are solved about the number of guests, the costs of the upcoming celebration (the groom takes the monetary side). Usually, a huge number of guests come to the Caucasian festivities - relatives, even the most distant ones, friends, pals. If future spouses forget to invite one, he has every right to be seriously offended. Sometimes you can meet strangers there, they will be welcomed if they make a worthy gift to the culprits of the Caucasian celebration.
There are such cases that the matchmaking fails, the bride refuses the young man. Then he can decide on a tricky act, having committed the theft of a Caucasian bride. Together with friends, a man steals a girl, brings her home, in every possible way persuading her to stay, promising gifts and a comfortable life. Even if a girl does not want to be his wife, she has no choice but to agree: the honor of the bride is considered tarnished if she spent the night in the man’s house.
The custom of celebrating 2 weddings
Celebrating weddings in the Caucasus, as a rule, lasts from two days or more. Previously, two celebrations took place simultaneously - one in the house of the future spouse, where men gathered on both sides, the other in the house of the bride, where women came. This allowed everyone to feel comfortable, and the female half could have fun without serious supervision of men.
Now women have received more freedom in relation to men, the holiday can be held together, but according to tradition, the culprits of the occasion are not accepted to be present during the event, so there is a tradition of holding two Caucasian weddings: the first symbolizes a kind of farewell of parents to their beloved daughter, it takes place in a week to the main celebration. Relatives of a suitor are gathering, the groom and the bride come, a fun walk.
Then, a week later, on the day of the official marriage, relatives of the hero of the occasion walk. Parents are paid kalyma to their parents, girlfriends transport her dowry, decorate the house, the girl moves to her spouse. Due to this separation, the heroes of the occasion celebrate both weddings, however now, in order to save money, there is often a joint Caucasian celebration, where relatives come from both sides.
Caucasian bride - an image of chastity and modesty
In the Caucasus there is a cult of respect for women, but women must behave accordingly. The Caucasian bride is an example of beauty, modesty, innocence. A girl who marries according to the traditions of the highlanders should behave quietly during the celebration, hardly speak, drink and eat a little, her face is often covered with white cloth. Unlike the European wedding, where the bride takes an active part in the celebration, the culprit is rather a wonderful wedding decoration.
Another interesting feature of the Caucasian celebration, unusual for Russian people - during the celebration it is not customary to scream «Bitterly!» In addition, the kiss in public does not correspond to the image of the Caucasian bride, and the youngest person should not touch her lover until the wedding night. Also during the event, jokes or liberties in relation to the Caucasian hero of the occasion are unacceptable.
Lezginka music and dancing at Caucasian weddings
A wedding in the Caucasus, as a rule, is often accompanied by cheerful, energetic live music, guests eat, sing, dance national dances, the main of which is Lezghinka. This is a quick dance of the Caucasian people, which is necessary at least once, but the guest of the celebration will dance - a man acts as an eagle, a woman as a swan. The bride also has the right to dance, but only after the invitation of the elder relative.
Watch a beautiful video where they dance a unique Caucasian folk dance - lezginka:
Caucasian toasts for a wedding
During the Caucasian celebration, it is customary to say many toasts with wishes to the young spouses. They often represent parables, instructions, metaphorical statements. When addressing a toast to the groom, one must first praise his courage, perseverance, strength. Praising the bride, they focus on her modesty, thriftiness, beauty, humility. At a wedding celebration, guests behave loudly, according to legend it will bring more happiness to the newlyweds.
Festive motorcade of the newlyweds
The wedding procession of the newlyweds can number from 20 cars. Drivers behave loudly - honking to notify everyone about a large-scale joyous event. The first car carries a banker: the driver pays the ransom money for the fare to everyone who stops him, even to a casual passerby. The culprits of the Caucasian celebration are driving in the second car. The third is carrying carpets that will spread in front of the bride so that she does not step on the asphalt.
Caucasian wedding 2016 video
A wedding in the Caucasus is a magnificent and significant event that will not leave anyone indifferent. Friendly participants in the celebration, a beautiful bridegroom, a modest bride, clockwork dances, songs and toasts - all these are mandatory parts of a magnificent ceremony, which for a long time will remind you of amazing photos and videos.